Sunday, August 26, 2007

Witnessing without English

I moved into my "new" apartment last January. There is a small park near my house that I pass everyday. It's filled with homeless men (and some not so homeless, I think). I've had a burden for these men since the first time I saw them. They are much, much older and don't speak English. I often pass them on walks and say hello. I desire to share the Gospel with them, but can't find anyone who will commit to go with me and translate.

Tonight, I felt the Holy Spirit as I was walking and praising God through my neighborhood. I was on my way to the night market to get some dinner. I passed the men and gave four of them the biggest smile I've ever given anyone. The first guy looked so mad and crabby and tried to ignore me. The other two said hello and the fourth remained asleep on the bench (oh, well).

The idea came to me that I would buy them something to eat at the night market....and so I did. I left a bag of food on the shoes of the man who was sleeping. I passed the other two and was going to go back because some other guy stopped to talk to them and I didn't have enough.

I went to the crabby guy, second, I said this is for you and "Jesus ai ni!! (Jesus loves you)!!" I can't tell you how many times I've passed this man and he just looks at you with such hate!!! This man's demeanor changed instantly when I gave him the food and told him Jesus loved him. He was so grateful, full of joy and his face just lit up!!

As I turned around to go back to the other men, I saw one going to the one who was sleeping...He saw me put something by the man's shoes and went to check it out!!!!

Ha! Ha!!

I turned around and jokingly yelled, "What's up?!? Are you hungry?" in Chinese! I gave them the remaining bags of food and told them the same thing that Jesus loves them. The one guy was like, "Ok, Jesus, ok!!" I don't know if he was mocking me or was internalizing what the foreigner just said. Either way...I was blessed by it and I pray that I will get an opportunity to present the Gospel to them soon!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home