Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter at School Tomorrow...and Do We Really Know It All?

I was told by my co-worker not to make our Easter lesson a missionary lesson. When I asked what did he mean by that, he responded, "Don't tell the kids that Jesus is God." Hmm...now what is the purpose of Easter? We remember that Jesus rose from the dead, fullfiling prophesy that He is the Messiah and God made flesh. Therefore, Jesus is God.

What am I supposed to tell them? Easter bunnies leave eggs. Yet, lying to them again...just like santa and elves leave us gifts? Don't think so. I'm just not going to lie to these children.

I am quite aware that not all of our children are Christians. (And, yes, we do have a number of Christian children in our school, yet, some people treat them as they don't exist). And I am also aware of their age, understanding, and backgrounds. I know enough to also tell the children that Christians believe Jesus is God.

Why do some still insist on treating me like I'm a moron when it comes to these things? Oh, I know, it's because they hate God and hate those who don't...It's really interesting how these demands (because they are NOT suggestions) never come from the boss, but from the co-worker.

It will be interesting tomorrow...

Actually, last week was really funny. We are learning about dinosaurs and all the books in my classroom talk about evolution and dinosaurs living 65 million years ago. I told the kids I don't believe that and there is actually proof that T-Rex existed 5,000 years ago. One student told me that I'm wrong because another teacher told them the 65 million years old claim.

I told the student that this was just a theory and truly, there is no solid evidence nor can all scientist agree on this. And since it is theory, I can also give my theory. Both can still be valid because there is no conclusive evidence, and therefore, you cannot tell me that I'm wrong because they are theories. I then told the student, that I know very little, the teachers at the school know very little, and as much as you study in the future, you, too, will know very little. The only one that knows all is God. And no matter how much knowledge we acquire, we'll never know all there is to know on one subject.

I'm surprised that the students didn't tell the other teachers this. But some did go home and tell their parents that I said that the students, teachers, and all humans know very little and only God knows everything!

Parents were not angry (not to mention the fact that I said God, and although, I know what God I mean, I didn't say the God of the Bible or Jesus...so, really they can apply it whatever way they want). They were really curious who taught them because they saw it as such an "adult" idea. Plus, the students who told their parents what I said were the Christian students...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home