Sunday, March 09, 2008

Night Market Evangelism

I finally got to share the Gospel with a lady who works at the local night markets. I have been wanting to share it with her for almost 2 years, but have been unable to...

I really like this lady named Emily. She makes these really good pancakes with chocolate, peanut butter, jelly, etc inside. I often buy some because they taste great the next day. Unfortunately, because she is always so busy (as she normally works alone) and it's so crowded, it's difficult to have a conversation with her.

But today...

I decided to take a walk to the night market. I entered through the back and thought, I'll get some pancakes and go home. Well, her line was so long...I went to get another snack I love (sticky rice balls with chocolate and peanut butter). I went back for some pancakes and no one was there!! And she was working with her husband. I gave him my order and she put down what she was doing behind him to talk with me. She said I looked nice because I had make-up on and I thought this is it...

I said, well, I try to look nice for church. She, said, oh it's Sunday. And she started to ask me if I pray before I eat. I told her yes, but sometimes I forget, and it's okay. She asked about lengths of prayer and I said that out of respect for the people I'm with, I tend to keep it short (however, I have known someone to go on for 10 or 15 minutes before a meal)!

Then, oddly, she asked me if I liked mormons. She said her children's English teacher hates them. I told her I don't like them, I LOVE them and this is why...

I used the opportunity to talk about deception within religions and how God doesn't require us to follow laws or do good things to get to heaven. There's nothing "good" that you and I can do that will give us favor with God and allow us to have eternal life with Him when we die. I talked about how mormons do good works so when they die, they can become gods of other planets compared to Christianity, in which, all we have to do is repent and put our trust in Jesus Christ...and that's how we can have eternal life. When you surrender your life to Jesus, your heart will change and you will want to do good things because HE has been so good to you...the motive is very different.

God really blessed me with a 2 minute window of opportunity to talk with Emily about the Gospel. As soon as my order was finish, people started lining up quickly. I'm really greatful for the chance. I was feeling kind of down just a few minutes prior to that, because everytime I call home, no one wants to talk with me...And then I remembered, it really is NOT about me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home