Friday, September 01, 2006

My first week in Tainan City!

Linda and I are famous!!!!!! I have been getting recognized in the street by strangers!!!! We were in 3 or 4 newspapers this week. Here's two of
them:





Sorry for not updating in a while. I have been so busy!! This is my first night off since I arrived a few weeks ago. I have gotten the run around from all walks of life here. I have to constantly remind myself that this is not the U.S...(I find myself saying...well, if the institution would only process paperwork in a certain way or organize in this manner...and then I stop...) Things are finally starting to fall into place. I moved into my apartment (or should I say dormroom) last Saturday. I got my ARC card on Wednesday, my driving permit (I found a loophole around the 1 year ARC requirement), a motorcycle, and a cellphone (which took 2 hours to acquire)!

I am teaching at two schools and it seems as if I will be doing 3 times as much work as Linda is doing. I'm beginning to dread this semester! I have 24 sections ranging from 3rd to 6th grades. I also have 2 sections of teaching the teachers English. In addition, I am heading up the city competition in English for our school. And am in charge the weekly English sentence lesson for the whole school. For the first ten weeks, I have decided to teach the students the poem "It's Hot" by Shel Silverstein. I think it's completely relevant to them! However, I love my students!!! Most of them can not speak English, but they keep coming into my classrooms during their breaks just to look at me and say hello! Three of my students told my co-teacher yesterday that they wanted to tell me, "I love you," but were too shy. On Thursday, I took my 6th graders to play basketball during class. Of course I had to show off a bit and kicked all their behinds! They enjoyed it though.

I haven't had the opportunity to take pictures at Chang-an Elementary. But I took a few today at the second school (I still don't know the name of the school)!


These are some of my students:


Two things that I really like about schools in Taiwan: Students come in every morning and clean the entire school, including the classrooms!!! The second is nap time. Everyone takes a one hour nap after lunch. I am having a hard time adjusting to that though...

These are my students sleeping today.....

My co-teacher at Chang-an, Judy, is wonderful! We are completely alike and finish each other's sentences! How strange is that! She has been a huge blessing to me (and Linda). I could not have made it through this week without her driving me around, translating for me, and making sure my meals have no fish in them (as I am allergic to fish)! I told her my goal for the year is to find her a good husband...any takers? :)

What else? I have made some amazing friends during training (you know who you are). In addition, Linda and I are quickly becoming good friends with a family in Tainan City. The family has 4 girls. Dad is a doctor and mom a former piano teacher. They have graciously bussed Linda and I to Carrefour for all our needs. They have welcomed us into their home for dinner. Taken us to another family's home for dinner and a walk at the harbor in Kaohsiung County.

Here are a few pictures from our outing in Kaohsiung County:

The family has been so kind to us! They are taking us to a classical piano concert tomorrow night. (Oh and the best part about them...they are Christians!...Their 17 year old girl was teaching me some worship songs in Chinese)!

I am adjusting well here. I like city a great deal. I really like the fact that I have my motorcycle and no longer have to depend on Judy. My Chinese is improving. I went ordered dinner for Linda and I in Chinese tonight.

I'm quite tired and cannot think clearly...so I will leave you with some pictures from my last few days in Taipei County. Enjoy...

Oh...this was my bed that I tried not to complain about!!!

The above is my fave picture!

Doug, keyi shuaka ma?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home