Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Update.

I’m really looking forward to going home, if for nothing else to get out of Taiwan. I now understand why Alex won’t come back. With all my complaining and moaning and whining about school, this is what I’ve learned as an educator:

It is so important that the philosophies and goals of the teacher align with that of the school. If they don’t you will just battle and cause yourself a lot of stress, heartache, etc. It’s such a shame to hear how one of my schools view education and its purpose. I’m really ashamed and embarrassed to be a teacher when I hear administration speak this way about education. (I’m grateful that I go to another school during the week where education is highly valued, even though these people are “poorer” than those at my other school).

In Indiana, I was just applying for any position that was open. Now, I know better. I’m almost glad that I was able to learn this fact in Taiwan than in the United States. I think if I learned it in the US, I’d be extremely bitter and take Alex’s offer up and apply for a position in marketing and research.

So, a few things that have been going on:

Other than fighting with my school almost everyday now, things are good. I have a group of really great friends, who have been so kind and wonderful to me. I consider myself so blessed to even be associated with them.

I recorded my ATS-P Exam for my Permanent Certification in New York State. It’s a pass/fail thing. Making the video with my Taiwanese students was challenging. I know it’s in God’s hands. He has had his hand on my certification business from the start! I am trusting God to take care of it. If I pass the test, I can apply for my Permanent Certification. This means my teaching license NEVER EXPIRES! \

Thanks Matt for answering all my questions!

In other news, I started filling out my application for the AIS school in Israel. The more I read about this school, the more I can see myself fitting in well (see above rant about education).

I’m off to Malaysia and Singapore with Jaquetta on June 15th. I’m excited! I also leave Taiwan on July 13th. I’ll be in Indiana for one week and leave on the morning of the 23rd. I’ll drive back to NY, put my stuff in storage and possible go to Mexico….FINALLY!!!

Mom asked what I wanted for my birthday…I said…let’s go to Mexico…

Oh yeah, my birthday is June 30th.

And I get my stitches out tomorrow afternoon!!!! Woohoo!!! No more crutches!

One more thing...Doug, you're the best! Thanks for writing...I'll write soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home