Thursday, May 01, 2008

My Broken Heart

I walked into my 3rd grade reading class last night and found the following on the board (it was left on the board from his previous class):

"Nowadays, Christians hate Buddhists. They want to stay away from them. This just proves that Christians want to kill Buddhists."


As a Christian, my heart sunk to think that my student believes this. I asked him if he though I hated and wanted to kill him. He said, "no." I told him, "I'm a Christian." His reply, "Oh." I told him that Christians shouldn't hate Buddhists and in fact, Jesus tells us to love Buddhists (all people) because Jesus died for all people. His reply, "Oh."

I continued to tell him, in fact, it's the Buddhists, Hindus and Muslims that are killing Christians nowadays.

His reply, "Oh."

I don't know where and why he would this these things. I know that it's not from me. In fact, I "encourage" the children's beliefs in class. I have a rule that my students are not allowed to say "Oh my G-o-d." I ask them why they don't say "Oh my buddha" or "Oh my goddess." They said they don't know.

I've told them that I don't like when they use the name of the God I believe in so loosely and in anger. And He doesn't like it either. In my class, it's unacceptable. I told them I didn't care if they used "Oh my buddha or goddess, etc."

But man, where would he come up with that thought?

All the more reason to get out there and share your faith with ALL people!

2 Comments:

At 9:52 PM , Blogger 00 said...

I think that I've spent too much time in academic settings, b/c what sticks out to me is not how sad his beliefs are, but the fact that his reasoning is so illogical :-S

 
At 4:37 AM , Blogger stella said...

I asked again today and the student said that another student who is a Christian said she hates Buddhists. So the student applied it all Christians...

Don't forget, these kids are only 8 years old and don't have regular exposure to Christians or Christianity.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home