Sunday, April 27, 2008

I Wonder

If anyone at church heard my disgusted response to what was said at the pulpit today.

The preacher said, "Jesus is not old fashioned. Actually, he is modern. He is more modern than some of us...Jesus would dance to hip hop."

I almost walked out. I should of walked out. But instead I blurted out, "I don't think so! That's heresy!"

Everyone else was amen-ing, agreeing, or getting happy about the comment...

I wanted to cry. Jesus is holy. He is God. He is NOT our homeboy.

WHAT?!?!?

At the end was a typical "altar call." But this time I noticed, and perhaps it has been said before, the preacher said "if you never believed in Jesus, but want to believe in Him today, raise your hand and we'll pray for you."

Dude, even the demons believe in Jesus!

Please pray for this church and pastoral staff. Today, they were talking about how it's hard to find the new building because of the location. However, we don't need a sign, because we have 300 "church signs" already. We were to turn to our neighbor and say I'm a church sign. I turned to my neighbor and said, "I'm a soul winner...not a church sign."

She said, "Aw, come on."

But really. Is this the Great Commission?!? Where did Jesus say, "invite people to church...and maybe they'll get saved." How can people get saved if they never hear the Gospel? When is the church going to stop praying for laborers and just go!

It breaks my heart and even angers me some to hear a pastor say, "I'm not an evangelist. I'm not good at talking to people about the Gospel. I'll let other people do it. Maybe I will say something wrong and people will take it the wrong way."

Well, pastor, the Gospel offends. No one wants to admit their need for a Savior because we think we are so great. And if you were to share the Gospel Biblically...you wouldn't have to worry about saying something wrong...because it's all from the Word.

Unless the Word of God is wrong...and in there, is a whole other issue.



Note: This is not aimed at one person in particular. These pastors are all over America and their theology has crept into Taiwan.

4 Comments:

At 5:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yah, maybe walking out would have been better or going to the pastor in private (Matthew 18). However, I admire the courage of your convictions and your passion for the gospel. Keep fighting the good fight of faith!

Chris

http://chris-kratzer.blogspot.com

 
At 6:51 AM , Blogger stella said...

If it happens again, I will walk out. It's just getting worse and worse. I've had some conversations with leadership there and it's just so la-la-la.

I even asked about evangelism simply as going out into the streets to talk with people and I was told that it doesn't work...the only thing that works is bringing people to church.

Unfortunately, this is the only place where sermons are consistantly in English.

 
At 3:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, grow where you have been planted, God has you there for a reason! I know, as one who used to feel the same as it seems some of the leadership you have run into, that it's easy for people to buy into the modern methods of Church and evangelism without even questioning it. Pray for them and be a voice for change!

 
At 7:55 PM , Blogger stella said...

Chris,
Thanks for your encouragement! I have 59 more days left here.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home