Friday, December 15, 2006

The Costco Experience!!!

The Costco experience was awesome!!! It's a mad house there!!! It was like the Taiwanese people took their whole families for lunch there! (And I'm talking 3 - 4 generations of people in one family). There were little grannies pushing people to get the free tea. And they don't mind if they get run over by carts. Amazing!!

Costco mostly sampled out teas...blah....But anyway, I took the train one hour to Kaohsiung and got a taxi. The taxi driver was hilarious!!!! He spoke very little English, but tried! I got to speak a little Chinese to him. I gave him a really good tip because Costco was a few kms from the train station. My taxi driver on the way back was quite mean. No tip! ha!

The people who worked at Costco were so much nicer than in the one I go to in America. One of the girls who worked there even helped me with my knee support. She watched my cart as I ran to the ATM, when I came back she said that I should change my size of the support and she would measure me just to make sure. Then she also gave me some tips for storing my vitamins in Taiwan....keep them in the fridge! The check out lady separated my purchase (most of it's for school anyway...so I get reimbursed). Every store I've been to in Taiwan, the check out person tells me I'm not allowed to separate things.

I can't wait until I move in February and have a kitchen.

This is what I carried home in my backpack:
4 lb bag of pistachios
4 lb bag of trail mix
1 box of 36 pop tarts
bengay (my muscles will love me)!
2 boxes of knee support
3 lb bag of string cheese
1 container of vitamin C

In my second bag I had:
8 containers of hot chocolate (total: 33 lbs)!!!

In my arms, I carried 3 containers of mini candy canes: for a total of 9 lbs!!

I think AJ should be proud of me!

The lady at the ticket counter in Kaohsiung gave me a ticket for a train that left in 3 minutes. It's quite far to the platform!! I couldn't run with everything. I walked as fast as I could and I took the wrong staircase down. Thank you Jesus, that I had to pass the conductor (the staircase I took overshot the train). He told me "slow down. slow down. I wait for you." My seat was all the way in the last car!!! The conductor graciously waited until I was on!

The worst part was I had to walk 4 blocks and down a hill to my motorcycle (in the terrible wind and rain we are having). Surprisingly, it all stayed on my motorcylce while I was driving!

2 Comments:

At 5:56 AM , Blogger Alex said...

Taiwanese people normally don't tip taxi drivers...the driver must be surprised:-)

 
At 6:58 AM , Blogger stella said...

He was!!! But that's the fun in it! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home