Saturday, November 10, 2007

Fishing in Taiwan

This morning I saw yet another set of Mormon missionaries in the streets. I've seen 9 Mormons in 3 days and my city is extremely small compared to others!! As I passed them, I started to think about what are Christians doing?!? Mormons are out preaching a false gospel and a false Jesus. And we are sitting on our lazy behinds eating potato chips and watching football!!! What is wrong with us? Do we not care about others?

And then today happened...
I'm learning how easy it is to evangelize in Taiwan. I think Taiwanese, especially the younger generation, are really open to at least hearing someone talk about the Gospel to them. (And for all y'all that say it's too scary to evangelize and feel that you're not adequately prepared...just think, I DO NOT speak Chinese! Think of what it's like for me and then give me your excuses...hopefully, you'll think twice and get out there...)

I went to Ray of Hope today for English conversation. I met a guy named David. I got to share the Gospel with him. Please pray for David as he is really searching. I left him with some thoughts about eternity, heaven, hell, and the fact that what it comes down to is his relationship with God and not with a church.

From there, I met Tina, Irene, and Mona for dinner at a really great Thai place tonight. We were going to do the teaching there, however, it was just too noisy. I opted to wait until next week and we decided to go for a walk.
Now, if you know me, I love to act stupid when I walk around Taiwan. I love to scare Taiwanese people by saying "hi" and "happy new year" in Chinese to them. But I realized that this "stupidity" is more valuable than I thought. It's turning into some excellent "bait" to catch some fish. Tonight, I had the privilage to share the Gospel with two more people.

The first was Ms. Jhong. She turned out to be a Christian, but she also got to see me share the Gospel with another guy. That was really cool. I still gave her a Gospel track.

Then came Ming-Yi. Ming-Yi is a student at Tainan University. His English was exceptionally good. I stopped him by acting stupid by saying things in Chinese. I gave him a million dollar Gospel track and told him it was a gift. It took a long time for him to accept it because he thought it was real money. In the end, I got to lay down the Law and Gospel.

Ming-Yi had NEVER heard the Gospel before!!!!

He was really curious and he was really considering what would happen after he died (he actually never gave thought to it before). You could see his whole demeanor change from the start of our conversation. You could see conviction on his face. You could see tears forming in his eyes, but because he's a man, he would never let them run down his cheeks. He was asking Irene about Living Waters website (www.livingwaters.org) and the Gospel of John, which I encouraged him to read. Please pray that God would save Ming-Yi.

You know, I'm not disappointed that I didn't get a decision on the spot. Actually, both David and Ming-Yi are going about it the Biblical way, which is to look at Scripture and then count the cost of following Christ. Only God can convert the heart, not me. And I'm so grateful for that.


Miss Jhong
Sharing the Gospel with Ming-Yi.
Irene (who translated a bit), Ming-Yi and I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home