Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Side Note: Levi

Levi does not seem to be getting better. He's starving himself. He refuses to eats, yet makes attempts to suck my hands in order to get milk, and I've tried all different types of food. His body temp has dropped quite low and he is nothing more than a skeleton with fur. It's really sad and heartbreaking. He's so weak. His precious little life is in my hands and there's not much more that I can do for him. I know it's only an animal, but to sit and watch something so small and precious deteriorate like this and not having the ability to make him better...I have some small understanding of what it's like when it's a child...

Since Levi wasn't eating, he didn't take his medicine for the parasite. The doctor found more parasite eggs and, now, roundworm. He was dewormed and now has a liquid medicine which I'm forcing him to take. I'm trying to keep him warm with handwarmers, space heaters, and blankets around his towel-ed up cage.

I'm convinced that if he could just get over the parasites, he would get so much better. Then he could play with Judah (as you know, they're not allowed to be in the same room together) and get out of the cage. I think that would make him really happy.

I'm learning a lot about being a "mom" and caring for an "orphan" through this. It's really strange to watch something refuse to help itself get better (ex. eating). And I think the situation can be applied to humans. It's like we ignore our basic needs, fully knowing that we need them, in order to take part in something else, which will eventually destroy us...hmmm...We ignore our need for a Savior because we love our sin. But in the end, all it brings is death.



2 Comments:

At 2:51 PM , Blogger pastorbrianculver said...

sorry to hear about Levi, I am sure he scares you when he is sick like that. Just keep on loving him like you are! Whenever my son used to get sick, I would just sit at the side of his bed while he slept. It comforted him to know I was there and would be there when he woke up. I know some day, you will make a great mom!

 
At 7:13 PM , Blogger stella said...

He's doing a bit better today. His stomach swelled up last night so I took him to the animal ER. One of the two parasites are gone but he still has the roundworm. He ate last night and this morning on his own, which is a huge change! He has refused to eat all last week. He needs to eat because his body temp is only 36 C. I can't have him in my bed because of Judah. I have to protect Judah as well so he doesn't get worms! Poor Judah is feeling left out, especially when I spend an hour in the bathroom with Levi...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home