Friday, January 25, 2008

Oh, Shut Up Already!

MSNBC has reported that an English teacher is under fire for passing out a poem, "Why Jesus is Better than Santa Claus."

"Parents in Irasburg said a teacher crossed the line between church and state when he gave out a handout entitled "Why Jesus is Better than Santa Claus." Parents also said that the handout is reflective of a pattern of religious-themed material being given by language arts teacher Wally Rogers."

He also got in trouble for a poster of the Ten Commandments and some "religious-themed" books on the shelves.

Oh, please! You know what. Evolution is a religion (and a false one at that). Which, the government funds and supports this teaching in science classes. Hmmm...seems to me that there is a violation of separation of church and state. And yes, you can call the body of believers in evolution a "church."

But yet, few back up Christians when they complain or bring up issues of evolution in the classroom. These things just make me angry...

You know what, I applaud this teacher. Good for you for telling those kids the truth! As a teacher, myself, I can't lie to my students. I told my students this year that Santa doesn't exist. I'm not going to lie to them.

One of the issues happens to be that religious beliefs are NOT to be taught in the classroom. Why is it that as a social studies teacher, I am mandated from the State to teach about the tenents of Islam? But yet, if I talk about Jesus or the Bible, I can get fired.

Oh...I'm buring up! I'll be praying for this teacher.
Read the story here...

5 Comments:

At 8:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Why is it that as a social studies teacher, I am mandated from the State to teach about the tenents of Islam? But yet, if I talk about Jesus or the Bible, I can get fired."

As Social Studies teachers were are not mandated to teach about Islam, we are however mandated to teach about world religions which include islam, hinduism, buddhism, judaism, and christianity. A teacher can't get fired for teaching students about the religions of the world from a historical perspective but we cannot impose our beliefs on the students. That is what we can get fired for.
Religion is a family issue and if parents want their children to have religion involved in their schools they can send them to private school.

 
At 8:32 PM , Blogger stella said...

Um, actually, New York State tells me I have to teach the beliefs of Islam and others. It's on their State exam.

There's a difference between imposing beliefs and educating children. Sharing one's beliefs in not necessarily imposing beliefs on another. Do you live in China? Have you ever been in the Chinese school system? The Chinese impose their beliefs on children. Having discussions about Jesus Christ in the classroom is not imposing a belief system.

Here is the dictionary definition for impose: Adapted to impress forcibly; impressive; commanding; as, an imposing air; an imposing spectacle.
Deceiving; deluding; misleading.

Since, at least in my classroom, conversations about Christ aren't forced on them, and students can express their own ideas. My beliefs are not imposed. Since, from a historical perspective, the Bible is 100% accurate, I am not deceiving or misleading students.

What is deceiving is teaching them myths and lies...IMPOSED by the state. And I say this because if I don't want my child to learn about evolution in the classroom, he'll fail his course.

As for historical persepective, who's perspective? There's so many schools of thought within history. The latest trend is revisionist.
And your comment about sending children to private schools is at best ignornant. Not everyone can afford private school. Are you going to fund school for those who don't want their children in public school? Some people just don't have a choice.

And don't forget, there wouldn't be schools in America if it weren't for Christians. Christians are the ones who founded all the educational institutions in America.

This country was founded on Christianity whether you or anyone else likes it or not. But then again, the revisionist, would think contrary...

 
At 8:35 PM , Blogger stella said...

And one more thing, we all have our biases and they all come out in our teaching...I had a Muslim teacher in a State school who preached Islam and he never got in trouble for it. The argument was that he was opening our minds up to something we knew little about.

Sounds like a contradiction to me...

 
At 5:17 AM , Blogger pastorbrianculver said...

That's right Stella! had a Christian gotten up front of class and taught everyone to pray to Jesus, you better belive the atheist, the muslims, the hindu's would all be screaming. Christians are looked at as being evil in society. Pretty sad actually. If they only knew about Jesus...

 
At 5:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's right Brian. good point! haha

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home